HDM - Hochschuldidaktisches Netzwerk Mittelhessen
Training English Writing Skills in Discipline-Specific Courses
Numerous universities aim at attracting international students by increasing the range of courses they offer in English. This strategy might pose a challenge for those lecturers who teach in the disciplines and speak English as a foreign language: you have to
- cater to different levels of English language proficiency among your students.
- evaluate whether your students difficulties are content or language related.
- foster advanced English writing skills to prepare your students for international careers.
In this workshop, you get the opportunity to train teaching content, language, and writing skills in an integrated manner.
First, you will examine your course concepts and teaching materials to identify the sections and methods that can best be enhanced with content and writing integrated learning activities. Second, you will identify transparent and applicable quality standards for students' English writing.
The main focus lies on:
- training teaching content, language and writing skills
- examining cours concepts and teaching materials
- identifying transparent and applicable quality standards für students - English writing.
Beraten und Begleiten
Prüfen und Beraten
After participating in this workshop you will
- be able to design efficient English writing assignments that suit your discipline-specific course.
- have develop suitable feedback and assessment schemes for your students' writing activities.
- know where to find appropriate resources for supporting students' self-directed English writing training.
- advanced level of English, as the course language will be English
- project design in the time between the two workshop days
Ina Machura, M.A., former staff member of the ZfbK of the Justus-Liebig-University of Gießen, Department Key Competences, Scientific Writing (German/English), staff member of the German Institute of the University of Siegen (Dept. Didactics of the German Language)
Leonie Schmidt, M.A., Staff member of the (ZfbK) of the Justus Liebig University Giessen, Department Key Competences, Scientific Writing (German/English)
monday, 06/10/2021: 09.00 to 13.00
project design in the time between
friday, 10/12/2021: 09.00 to 13.00
The exact location (online or face-to-face) is yet to be announced.